I’m not one to go all out with festive decorations, so forgive me for my lack of a spooky Halloween project to share with you all. Instead, I’ve got this textured wall art that looks way more complicated to make than it is. If you’re looking for an easy Saturday mornin craft, this is it.
I started out by creating a geometric pattern on my iPad Pro using the Procreate app. I created a couple of different patterns of petals using the symmetry tool and landed on these “U” shaped petals for the final piece.
After I finalized my design on my iPad, I exported it to my laptop where I removed the black portion of the design and saved as a png with a transparent background, then uploaded to the Cricut design space.
I resized the file to 11.5″ x 11.5″ to fit the frame I had purchased on Etsy and setup my Cricut Explore Air 2. I used a standard grip Cricut mat, Basis White 80lb Cardstock , a fresh standard blade, and set the materials dial to cardstock.
Once the Cricut completed the cut, I carefully peeled away the mat from the paper, taking care not rip any of the tabs free.
Once I had it free from the mat, I gently folded each tab forward, working from the inside to the outside. I wasn’t worried about each tab being perfectly even, I wanted texture rather than perfection.
I wasn’t putting this behind glass so I wanted to spray it with sealant, and I also thought the sealant will help keep the tabs lifted. I took it outside (very important when using spray sealant) and placed the piece on a box lid upside down so the tabs weren’t flattened. I sprayed it with 3 light coats of Mod Podge spray sealant on each side and let it dry over night. After the first coat began to set, I used the end of a small paint brush to push the tabs forward more to ensure they dried lifted up.
After it was completely dry on both sides, I used spray adhesive to attach the piece to my wood sign.
Most of the time if I think a project is going to be easy to execute, something goes wrong and it takes me way more time than it looks like it should have. This one is one of the rare ones that looks like it took more time than it actually did.