It’s All In The Details

By Amber Rain Davis 

Cover dies and precut & scored card panels can help us create clean and simple cards in a jiffy. At times, they’re a little too simple. Using metallic cardstock and adding some hand drawn outlines or a clear embossed background can add just the right amount of something special. 

These cards feature Stardream Metallic Kunzite cardstock which is a lovely lilac color. If you’re not into the traditional pinks and reds for Valentine’s Day cards, this is a great alternative. 

I started by die cutting a piece of Kunzite cardstock to 3.75 x 5 inches and stamped the floral images from Altenew Flower Vine with clear embossing ink. I covered the ink with Altenew Iridescent Pearl embossing powder and heat embossed the background. This powder added a touch of sparkle and lots of subtle texture. 

Next, I die-cut two ampersands with Altenew Mega Ampersand Die from Stardream Crystal and Onyx cardstock. I stamped sentiments from Altenew You & Me Stamp Set directly onto the Crystal ampersand and a strip of Crystal cardstock.  

I layered stamped flowers from Altenew Painted Flower Stamp set with Shades of Purple Inks. I glued the ampersands together using the Onyx one as a drop shadow and added dimensional adhesive to all the elements.  

All that was left was to adhere the kunzite panel to an A2 sized piece of Crystal cardstock and adhere everything to the white Cougar Folded Card.  

Next up, we’ll add some hand drawn details to Altenew Leaf Frame Cover Die. I started by cutting a piece of kunzite cardstock with the cover die.  

Tip: Add a piece of double sided adhesive like Stick-It to the back prior to die cutting to quickly adhere it to the card base.

I stamped sentiments from The Stamp Market Double Take Stamp Set with Altenew Soft Lilac Crisp Dye Ink and VersaFine Onyx Black ink. I heat embossed both sentiments with the same iridescent pearl embossing powder. The soft lilac ink was a perfect match for the kunzite cardstock! 

Once the sentiments were done, I felt black was needed somewhere else on the card to tie it into the design. I used a Sakura Micron 05 pen to outline the frame die leaving a small space between the line and the die cut element. This looked unfinished to me, so I decided to outline all the leaves as well.  

This appears more cohesive and leaving the spaces allowed me to connect the line for a continuous look.

I love the sparkle and shine created by the Stardream Metallic cardstock and Altenew Iridescent Embossing Powder and I wish you could see it better in the photos! 

I hope you enjoyed these cards today and will give some of these techniques a try. If you’d like to see more projects you can follow my work at:  
The supplies used in these projects can be found here.  
Thanks for stopping by!  Breathe · Ink · Inspire 

Similar Posts

One Comment

Leave a little comment love below!

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.