Hello, CutCardStock fans! Leslie here, and thanks so much for joining me on the blog today! Have you ever heard of an open box card? It’s just like the typical box card but with an open front, hence the name! And it’s super easy! I have a pretty Christmas version to share with you today, created with our gorgeous red, white and green cardstock that’s on sale this month, so be sure to stock up for all your holiday crafting! While I used a die set with a different name for this design team project, I found handwritten measurements for an ‘open box card’ (with angled sides) in my tutorial arsenal, so I typed up a tutorial and am sharing that HERE so you can make this card without the die set. The only differences between the die set and my handwritten instructions are the shape and the width of the box layer strips.
CUT CARD BASE, BOX LAYER STRIPS & EMBELLISHMENTS
- Die cut the card base and box layer strips from Silk Glitter Opulent Opal cardstock.
- Die cut three poinsettia flowers from Stardream Metallic Jupiter cardstock, the poinsettia leaves from Pop-Tone Jellybean Green cardstock, the greenery and berries from Basis Red cardstock and Basis Green cardstock, and the flower centers from Basis Gold cardstock. Assemble the poinsettias and set them aside (which I had already done prior to taking photos).
- Die cut the sentiment from Stardream Metallic Jupiter cardstock and again from Basis Green cardstock.
- Die cut a white stitched rectangle from Neenah Classic Crest 80# Solar White cardstock and a slightly larger green stitched rectangle from Pop-Tone Jellybean Green cardstock for the sentiment.
ADD STAMPING AND ADHERE LAYERS
- Adhere the three box layer strips to the card base in tier fashion, starting with the widest strip on the inside, then the middle size strip and then narrowest strip on the outside. As a reminder, my tutorial for the open box card (which is slightly different) is HERE.
- Adhere the red die cut sentiment to the green die cut sentiment so that just a tiny bit of the green shows beneath the red.
- Stamp the sentiment in green ink on the white cardstock die cut rectangle and adhere it to the slightly larger green cardstock die cut rectangle. Adhere one of the poinsettias to the sentiment piece.
ADHERE EMBELLISHMENTS AND COMPLETE CARD
- Adhere the sentiment piece to the left side, adhere the second poinsettia to the right side, and adhere the third poinsettia in the middle on the back layering strip.
- Apply several randomly-placed dots of green Crystal Drops (or gemstones if you prefer) to complete the card.
CutCardStock products used:
Silk Glitter Opulent Opal cardstock
Stardream Metallic Jupiter cardstock
Basis Red cardstock
Basis Green cardstock
Pop-Tone Jellybean Green cardstock
Basis Gold cardstock
Neenah Classic Crest Solar White 80# cardstock
Other products used:
Stamps: Concord & 9th Poinsettia Fill-In stamp set
Ink: Catherine Pooler Eucalyptus ink
Dies/Punches: Concord & 9th Card Stacks Base dies, Concord & 9th Poinsettia Fill-In dies, Memory Box Stitched Rectangle Layers
Accessories: Tonic Studios 12″ Guillotine Paper Trimmer, Big Shot, MISTI stamp tool, Bearly Art precision craft glue, Ranger Distress Collage Medium, Nuvo Bottle Green Crystal Drops
I hope you’ve enjoyed this Christmas-themed open box card! Be sure to visit the CutCardStock Facebook Page for more DT inspiration!