You Put the Sunshine in My Day

Hello friends! Isn’t it nice when you can make your own embellishments for a card? While it can be a bit time consuming, it’s totally worth it when it lights up the recipient’s face (or day)!

Today I’m going to show you how I put together some mini magnolias to make this pretty card for a friend of mine. She needed a little pick-me-up, and I love to send out happy hellos! This one will need a small box, of course, to keep the flowers from getting flattened.

On to the project!

To make quilling paper, all you need is some 70# text weight paper and a guillotine trimmer, like the Fiskars 9” card trimmer. For the flowers today, I cut 1/16” strips from the 8 1/2” edge of a piece of PopTone Paper in Banana Split.

Don’t be scared – I know they are skinnier than the standard 1/8” quilling paper, but they aren’t hard to roll!

Next, use a fine slotted quilling tool (the finer, the better – even the back of an embroidery needle will work) to roll these strips into peg shapes. Pegs are coils that are glued while they are still held tight. When you get to the end of the paper, use a TINY dab of glue to seal the coil.

To shape the petal, create a cup with the back of a pen or paintbrush. Then, pinch one side gently until it just starts to fold.

That’s all there is to petal making! Create a bunch and glue them into flower shapes with the pointy end in the center. I made four magnolias with four petals, one with five, and a smaller four-petal flower (using 4 1/4” long strips of paper, half the length of the larger ones). I also added some adhesive gems for the centers.

Once all the flowers were made, I made a square 5 1/2” card base from Curious Metallic Cryogen White cardstock, and die cut some leaves from POW! Cricket Green Glitter paper (one for a branch, one to use as filler).

To make the front panel, I cut a 5 1/4” square piece of the glitter paper, then layered a 5” square piece of PopTone Banana Split cardstock over it and adhered around the edges with a glue runner. This gave me a bit of space to tuck my leaves in later. I used a stitched circle die from Simon Says Stamp to create a window in the center.

The yellow cardstock seemed like it needed something extra, so I added several stamped butterfly images as a watermark design with Versamark Ink.

Then, I adhered the panel to my card base and stamped the sentiment with black pigment ink.

Finally, I added my leaves and flowers, tucking the ends under the edges of the circle frame and hiding joins where I filled in a few extra leaves. A good, thick tacky glue works best to hold these magnolia flowers down since the backs are not flat.

Thank you for stopping by the blog today! Keep scrolling to see all the other jaw-dropping projects the Design Team has made so far this year, and don’t forget to comment on your favorites!

❤️  Niki • • @cardstoq (on Instagram, Pinterest & Twitter)

Similar Posts


Leave a little comment love below!

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.