It’s tough to keep smiling when you’re going through a rough patch in life. In fact, my eldest son just experienced a small setback in his career yesterday, so I’ll be sending him a little encouragement later on this week. I’ll make his card with more of a masculine theme, of course, but the card I have for you today will surely cheer up one of your best girl pals!
I started off by stamping a butterfly outline image onto Classic Crest cardstock with light gray ink. It didn’t matter if it was a good job at this point – I planned to color the butterfly with Copics, and then re-stamp and heat emboss the outline.
To do this, I used a MISTI. That way I could leave the stamp in place, and once the coloring was done, I could pop the cardstock back in there and stamp the outline perfectly to emboss.
It’s better to do the coloring this way when using alcohol markers – they don’t play nice with designs that have already been embossed (the ink stains the melted powder).
Once I had the coloring finished up, I restamped the butterfly with Versamark ink and heat embossed with silver embossing powder to match the glittery paper I had chosen for the background.
While that was cooling down, I went ahead and layered the front of the card. For the card base and white layer, I used Classic Crest in Bright White. The card itself is an A2, while the white layer measures 4 x 5 1/4-inches. The silver glitter paper is Mirrisparkle, and it’s one of my favorite glitter papers. The larger piece of glitter cardstock is 4 1/8 x 5 3/8-inches, and the die-cut layer on the front is cut with a die set from Simon Says Stamp called Frames.
I didn’t have a die for the butterfly, so I had to fussy-cut around it. As a side note, if you ever have trouble with cutting out an image, the trick is to “steer” with the paper and keep the scissors as still as possible. You’ll get a much less jagged edge.
To stamp the sentiment, I used Staz-On ink in Jet Black since it works really well on papers like Mirrisparkle. Other inks take a super long time to dry if they dry at all. Again, I used a MISTI here and stamped three times to get a lovely, dark image.
Then it was time to attach the butterfly to its sparkly background with a foam square! I also darkened the body with a .01 Micron pen.
To finish up, I added some self-adhesive gems to the body of the butterfly and around the card.
Thanks for exploring the blog today! If you’d like to keep up to date with projects from the lovely ladies on our Design Team and to get a heads up when your favorite papers go on sale, head on over to the Facebook page and hit that like button!
❤️ Niki • cardstoq.com • @cardstoq (on Instagram, Pinterest & Twitter)