|

Cheery Flowers

Good morning, Sharon here I live in Michigan we have extremely low temps and snow so my card today is a reminder that spring will be here ….eventually!

It’s been a long time since I have done any quilling so decided to break out my flower quilling dies.

Pop-Tone cardstock is great for this, it’s not too thick but is strong enough to wind tightly without tearing. I cut enough stamen strips and petal strips to make 3 flowers. The flower center strips are cut from Pop-Tone Lemon Drop, the mauve flowers from Pop-Tone Grapesicle. Neenah Solar White 80lb for the middle flower.

In order for the strips to stay coiled you need to use a strong glue. I find red liner tape works best for this so added this to the yellow strips and now it’s time to make the flower centers

These strips need to be wound tightly. I quilling tool is specifically made for this. You place the end of the strip into the tool and wind the strips tightly around this. I find it easiest to remove the tape backing as I go.

Two strips make the center of my flowers so I just continue with the next. This makes the join seamless.

Next are the petals, to add more interest to them I inked the edges of the petal strips. The Grapesicle with a darker purple and the white with a pink.

The thin red liner tape fits along the flat edge of the petal strips. These then stick together so the petals are alternate.

Two strips are enough petals for one flower, these then coil around the center, removing the tape backing as I go so I can keep them tight.

This is how they look before splaying the petals. I gently opened the petals and using a bone folder curl them back for more dimension.

You can see here how the inked edges give the flower more depth. Using these steps I make a further 2 flowers – one white and another Grapesicle.

The flowers now need a garden because they are almost 2 inches in diameter so need a larger card. Neenah Solar White 110lb Cover Cardstock makes a sturdy 5x7in card base. This is great for the weight of the flowers especially with mats on the base. Jelly Bean Green Pop-Tone Cardstock covers the base and Lemon Drop embossed with a floral folder covers this.

Figuring out where I want them, Tomboy Mono Liquid Glue adheres them in place. Leaves and swirls are diecut from Jelly Bean Green Pop-Tone cardstock and added to the card.

You can see the dimension the flowers give here.

I hope this sunny card has brightened your day, if I haver inspired you to use quilling please let me know in the comments.

Similar Posts

Leave a little comment love below!

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.