Hello, friends! It is Hannah, again, the crafter over at Fanciful Spaces!
Have you noticed that I’ve got a thing for wreaths and door decor? You can see my previous projects for CutCardStock here and here. Well, I have ANOTHER wreath project for you today. This one literally turned out EXACTLY as I imagined it would. It’s like all my girlhood fantasies have come to life! This wreath would be EPIC for a girl’s birthday party.
These unicorns are from a company called Breyer, they produce a lot of plastic horses, primarily. I was lucky to discover these unicorns in “blind bags” at my local horse tack store. I have looked, they are also available on Amazon. 😉 The second I saw them I knew what to do with them!
1) I started by taking a styrofoam wreath and needle felting it using Poly-Fil. Yup, those two absolutely needle-felt together like a dream, especially when you have a 5-needle felting tool like the white and purple one I show above. I quickly broke all the needles on my less hefty tools.
2) Next, I die cut my rainbow, using a Basis White Cardstock. I colored this cardstock using my favorite ink and finger daubers. Then I sprayed it with shimmery Tattered Angels spray. This spray has been discontinued, however, but there are many other substitutions on the market, like Lindy’s Gang.
3) I traced my die onto Mirrisparkle Silver Glitter Cardstock, twice, and cut both out. I needed two of the bases because of the sandwich I was going to make in the middle of them. I also cut double the amount of stars that I would need using Mirrisparkle Gold Glitter Cardstock.
4) I stuck my stars and rainbow into my wreath using some heavy gauge wire. To prevent the wire from creating bumps in my cardstock, I hot glued it on the inside of all my stars and my rainbow. Then I used 3D foam squares to adhere the back and front of each star sandwich and the rainbow together.
The result is a piece of paper with wire hot glued to the wrong side, foam tape around the wire and glue, and the other piece of paper. Wrong sides facing in.
5) I used the same wire and hot glue to adhere the unicorns to the wreath.
6) I took some spray adhesive and lightly dusted the entire foam/polyfill contraption then sprinkled glitter around the front. I did have some residual adhesive remain, I dusted my anti-static bag for embossing all over, and that solved my sticky problem.
7) Using some Nuvo Deluxe Adhesive, I glued some stars from Lucy’s Little Things and some other shiny/clear round sequins just to add more color, bling, and light reflectiveness.
I ADORED creating this project. The inner 8-year-old screamed with delight when it was completed! I hope you enjoyed it, and I hope it inspires you to go out and create!
– Hannah (@fancifulspaces on IG)